STORAGE WARS

Perusing my blog and scrolling through my archives was a veritable virtual walk-through in a digital storage unit. In my brick-and-mortar life, I rented two storage units in Brooklyn--totally normal at the time, for it provided a sensible solution to the space shortage in my apartment. Though it also added a chunk of change to the monthly rental fees category in my monthly budget, it was worth the sense of adventure it provided on my excursions to it. I spent some extended stays upstate and would venture to my unit to get some cute clothes to tide me over for my stay. I deluded myself thinking that I'd only pop in for fifteen minutes or so. The latter easily morphed into the entirety of an afternoon. Shifting this box here and relocating this bag from there, in order to find this item that I was so sure that I put here that last time I was here, turned into a discovery of treasures. I'd find clothes all about which I'd forgotten, rejoice over a not-worn-in-ages accessory, only to slip it on and adorn my wrist, and rest my eyes upon a pair of heels that I'd neatly nip-tucked away in a storage bag. Slipping them out of their safe haven, it was a pleasure to remember the delight I experienced in those heels, walking the cobblestone streets of Old New York as a newly minted New Yorker. There was magic in the air in that sweet September, on a first date with my romanticized version of Mr. Big. Perhaps it was the miniature ferry lights wrapped around the trees, or the intoxication of the infectious replays of SATC swirling around in my imagination, or just the possibility of the possession of a great love that this big date portends. I'd walk in the storage unit dressed one way, and leave out another--more confident, magnetized with creativity and invigorated with the activity of exploration. I was a fashion archeologist, and I'd unearthed such beauty and loveliness in those afternoons-turned-evenings, that I could only radiate that wonderment and permeate the air of Crown Heights and Bedford-Stuyvesant. It was a toss up whether or not that sentiment would last throughout the duration of my ride on the A-train. Riding alongside the Hudson River, and sipping a glass of wine while seated on the Metro-North would surely preserve it until Tarrytown... 

Immersing myself in my writing here in the safe space of my very own Archives was equally as delightful as my brick-and-mortar fashion archeological excursions in my Bed-Stuy storage unit.  Thankfully, there aren't any boxes to physically shift, shuffle or stack.  I read the phrase "Decade of Destiny," in a post, ironically entitled What Comes Around Goes Around:  Back Down Memory Lane where I'd referenced Rick Warren's early aughts bestseller, A Purpose Driven Life.  I can honestly say that the journey of the last decade has been exactly that.  In 2010, when the post was written, I'd begun taking myself very seriously as an actor.  And seven years later, in 2017, I began taking myself very seriously as a screenwriter.  By 2020, I'd worked in all aspects of the business, and on both sides of the camera.  My work has garnered international acclaim in Paris, Amsterdam and in Italy.  I've written short films, episodic and feature films.  My brick-and-mortar life has grown outside of the box(es), and I'm all too eager to see what the next decade brings.

So what does this have to do with finding deals, saving money and shopping luxe for less?  

Not much.  If nothing at all.

It's simply a re-introduction of myself to myself.  No boxes allowed.

Reading the content, the comments and just the feeling of the joy of writing once again reignited the sheer excitement I possessed when I began this blog.  

I cannot wait to go on my next brick-and-mortar excursion and write all about it.

Comments

Popular Posts