Mechanisms of Self-Defense

Boys on the Side...
I once had a six-hour boyfriend that always accused me of being with someone else.  Hence the extremely brief duration of our "relationship."  When I asked him--post-six hour relationship-why he behaved that way, he said that it was a "defense mechanism."  Apparently if he thought of me as having been secretly seeing someone else--despite the fact that I hadn't done anything unworthy of his trust, it would be easier for him to cope, if he somehow discovered that I was getting my Whoopi Goldberg & Drew Barrymore on, and having "Boys On The Side."  He admitted that it was a defense mechanism of his, and apologized for projecting his frustrations from his previous encounters with women upon me.  His openness astounded me, and I began to think of the way(s) in which I defend myself from something that means me no harm, and I realized that my primary mechanisms are wit and humor.  On the days where "mama said there'd be days like this," and I feel like hurling myself into the Potomac River, I re-discover how truly the best--and much, much drier--medicine, laughter really is.


Armed & Dangerous...
George Meredith once said "A witty woman is a treasure.  A witty beauty, is a power."  I certainly agree with Mr. Meredith, but sometimes a girl needs to put away her silver-tongue and cloak of wittiness, and let her shoes do all the talking.  And when faced with situations where you're in need of both a good offense and and even better defense, it's best to reserve your right to bare arms by sporting your best tank, straightening the hem of your stretched-pencil skirt, and strapping on The Gladiators.  

Gladiator sandals have a been a perennial favorite in women's fashion for the better part of new millennium.  I remember (repeatedly) borrowing my sister's Old Navy flat denim near-the-knee tie-up sandals in Summer 2002. Nine years later, gladiator sandals have evolved and are available in so many different types and varieties.

For less than $150 on endless.com, you can ball out on a budget with Charles by Charles David's Netizen ($124.95) and GUESS by Marciano's Pm Narelle ($92.37), if you're taking the femme fatale approach, and Unlisted's Shelf Help ($25.00) and XOXO's Mariah ($43.99) if you want to "go ballplayer on 'em," and have your defenders feeling vertically challenged.  While you're inhaling the air up there, be sure to toss a celebratory layup to commemorate Shaq's illustrious 19-year career in the NBA. 

Vive Les Femmes!

Between The Gladiator and Shaq's obsession with Superman, I'm thinking of Ciara's 2006 hit single, "Promise," telling the fellas, "You can be my Superman, save me here I am!" If you're dancing around in your Gladiators,  trying to work it like Ci-Ci does is this steamy video, your beau may need you to rescue him instead.  Make sure you start with a little mouth-to-mouth ;0)

Enjoy!




Point & Click,
Emteezy1

Comments

  1. Your thought process reminds me of myself, however, I find you to be very interesting. You have been blessed with many talents. I needed to read this because I sabotaged ny relationship always looking for something because I was so sure he was like all the others but it was not so. The devil is a liar lol. I like the video too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I (thought I) posted a comment over a week ago in response to your comment, The 1 Ms.H.B.I.C.. The process took an unusually long time, so I see it didn't post. I do appreciate your kind words, and I thank you. It can be tough learning to love and trust with an open heart. I've taken my bumps and bruises, and I'm trying not to allow the Ghosts of BFs past to haunt my present and will most certainly become my future. It's work... We cannot let the devil--no matter what way he surfaces--steal our joy ;0)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts