She Want Dat Old Thing Back...Or Does She?

Growth Spurt...
My growth with the opposite sex has been so skewed.  I'll think I'll make progress in one vein, and then it morphs into some disastrous extinction level event and our relationship--albeit how temporal--is no more.  Then I regroup, work on myself, and rebirth myself.  I emerge stronger, better, faster, wiser than I did from the previous iteration, only to meet my downfall once again.

Qualities, Not Quantity...
I was asked by a 21-year old what my type was on yesterday.  Ten years ago, I would've described Gilbert Arenas (who is still gorgeous to me at this physical moment--both inner and outer qualities) right down to that adorable mole betwixt his brows. 

Ready For My Closeup, Mr. De-Gil:  Gilbert Arenas, The Handsome

Ten years later, the qualities I desire in my match exceed superficial confines of physiology.  My response to the misguided youth (not because he's 21, just because he was misguided) was that my interests lied in men that are honorable, trustworthy, self-sufficient, skilled, thoughtful and kind-hearted.  Those are ethereal qualities that are not bound by a specific height and/or weight condition, yet I wouldn't mind if the physiological makeup was attached to a Brad Pitt-or-George-Clooney-esque gentleman (smile).  Yet when it comes to such an important quality as honor, the Hunchback of Notre Dame is simply endearing.


Hello, Modo!:  Quasimodo The Honorable, Hunchback of Notre Dame


Time Capsule...
When I stopped by my parents' home a few weeks ago, I stumbled upon a box of clothes that I hadn't seen--much less worn, in ten years.  Much to my simultaneous surprise and delight, they still fit.  That box held so many memories--trips to foreign countries, travelling 100% as a consultant, getting laid off from my job as a consultant, stumbling home after "buying the bar out," like I was a featured video vixen in Jagged Edge's "Where Da Party At?" video (uh ooooooh), and high levels of toxicity I incurred while dating a careless boy-man.


There were two items that held such a huge psychic value for me, I had to take them with me.  The tropically-printed hot pants I wore while catching sunrays in Cozumel, and the khaki-colored cigarette pants I loved pairing with my gold BCBG stilettos--both of which were courtesy of Victoria's Secret.  They're having their notorious Semi-Annual Sale by the way, and there's a discount of 20% on Sexy Swimwear (Summer Essential #2) purchases.

"Hakuna Matata," What A Wonderful Phrase...
I've since worn the cigarette pants twice since their retrieval from my parents' home, and recalled why I'd lain them to rest in the first place.  There's a small hole on the back right leg, about the size of a cigarette burn, and one-quarter of the zipper is damaged.  The zipper is an eazy fix, but a patched hole just isn't my idea of "bringing sexy back."  The tropically-printed hot pants has a clasped closure and one-half of the clasp is missing.  I began to wonder if it's just better to leave the past in the past.  Timon and Pumbaa, Simba's humorous companions in Disney's 1994 hit feature-film "The Lion King," would certainly have agreed. 

My Funny Valentine, "Is Your Figure Less Than Greek?"...
I went on date #2 with a potentially new beau on last evening, and that venture proved to be more of a throwback to the Age of Toxicity--circa ten years before.  The Herculean, aesthetically appealing exterior is nothing shy of masterful, yet the ethereal qualities upon which my soul relies, leave something to be desired.  I wondered if my clothing wasn't the only thing I exhumed from that box stored in my parents' home, but the spirit of the careless man I dated while wearing them.  A vintage find that I must bequeath to Hades and the Underworld.

The Art of Storytelling thru Fashion...
For me, the true beauty of a vintage discovery is the story behind it.  Alhough my cigarette pants and hot pants have since purchased an all-expenses-paid, first-class ticket to Goodwill heaven, I'll forever treasure excitement of their discovery at my parents' home.  A dear friend of mine, Hadiya Williams, thrift-shopping afficianado, has since launched her first business, Zulu Gypsy, and specializes in providing unique insider-trading tips on swapping and thrift shopping in the DMV--whether at a brick and mortar building or online. Her own online shop, full of unique finds from her thrift-shopping travels is forthcoming, and now with a few points and clicks, you'll see items like the wonderful woven clutch she's copped at Unique Thrift on a 25%-Off-Discount-themed Thursday.

You Went to School for...Basketweaving?  Precisely. 
The Wonderful Woven Straw Clutch
On June 18th, you can celebrate the Summer Solstice (the official kickoff of summer) with Planet Maude & Company and Zulu Gypsy Vintage and view finds in their trunk show complete with and abundance of Music, Moonshine and Mingling, at Bill Johnson's Studio in NW DC. 


Getting it touch with the Ghosts of Boyfriends Past has me thinking of Lauryn Hill and the unforgettable hit single, "Ex-Factor," from her uber-successful 1998 album, "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill."  Enjoy!



Your Friend In Fashion,
Emteezy1


Comments

Popular Posts